Creating personas is a common tactic that helps marketers identify and adequately describe their target audience and tailor their messages to appeal to them. Personas will help you better understand – what motivates people to donate, volunteer, and support your organization.
In his article “How to Create Marketing Personas for Your Nonprofit“, John Haydon, one of the most sought-after digital marketing experts for non-profits and charities, describes six steps for creating personas.
- Define your segments and give them names.
- Define demographics – where do they live, what is their gender, education level, marital status and income.
- Identify people’s values, beliefs, passions, and interests.
- Know what motivates them on an emotional level. What matters to them? What are their worries and goals?
- Know what value do they get from your organization. Is it a good feeling from being able to help, volunteer their time?
- Give your personas names using adjectives that describe their behaviors; use photos to give them a face.
Remember your personas when communicating with your audience, each time you are about to send out a mass email, post an appeal on your website or social media. The effect of your message will magnify when you hit the right buttons.